Monday, December 16, 2019

Resilience!


So lets talk resilience here peeps, I can’t help but feel that there is no more resilient group of people than parents…in particular Momma’s ( this is not a sexist comment but more a rallying cry for my fellow mommas) It has been quite the year this 2019, oh boy. So much has happened and though I post quite a bit on social media, it is important to understand that any social media platform is not a complete story of a person. It is just a snapshot of images and posts that are CHOSEN, not a full reflection. I have a blessed life, but I have had a difficult time during this year for a multitude of reasons. This experience has led me to meet some absolutely incredible people that have made me see things in a whole new way.


In 2019 I have had some pretty serious health conditions be diagnosed, I have hinted but never fully shared, so here it is in may I was diagnosed with insulin resistance/hypoglycemia and anemia and then in august with stage 3 adrenal failure/ anxiety and depression.  I can say these things openly now because in meeting incredible people who have taught me about resilience I have come through to the other side.  None of these conditions are something that goes away, but I have learned to manage it and feel strong again.  I have learned in meeting others in support groups, and meetings etc that many mothers go through this. Special needs mom’s in particular suffer from stress that is equivalent to soldiers in war. I can say that this is a fact, I never knew the depth of strength I would have to find, use and rely on.  I never knew that I didn’t need to do this alone, that there were other parents out there going through the same thing, that we could lean on each other and come out of this stronger than before.


It has been a huge blow to me to not be able to do physical exercise, it was always a crutch for me and a coping mechanism. But with these conditions I was ordered on complete rest. If you know me at all you know that rest is not my forte. However, it has been my greatest teacher. These months of doing nothing, have taught me about resilience of the body and mind. That asking for help and mental health support is not a weakness but a strength. I am a work in progress and will continue to struggle for sure, but I am lucky to be surrounded by amazing people and professionals who have helped me these last few months. As I enter the next phase of this condition (healing is underway) I have been given permission to begin small amounts of exercise and workouts and I can’t wait for body, mind and soul to be aligned for the adventure.


Having said all this, if you are reading this and feel alone, you are not. If you need support, help is on the way. There is a lot on the plates of Mothers these days ( dad’s are awesome , Eric is the cream of the crop) but it is still not always even and we need to learn to take time for ourselves, recharge our batteries and understand that resilience doesn’t mean perfection.  We are perfect in our imperfection, in our intentions, in our energy and efforts to do our best for our families. We are enough as we are and when we are down, we will get back up because we are RESILIENT!


No comments:

Post a Comment