Sunday, December 6, 2015

Being a Mom is HARD!!

This was such a great weekend full of highs and lows but really eye opening about what it means to be a Mom. We did all kinds of activities this weekend, from building a gingerbread house, to swimming and gymnastics and saw some family etc. It was great, and Layla Rose is just doing great, her words are coming along and we are working on attention span yadayadayada...

So why is being a Mom hard if everything was so fun...let me explain

I have been against gymnastics since day one. Not because of the sport itself, it is beautiful to watch and those athletes are strong and dedicated. My problem is 2 fold, 1 is the body thing I have been sooooooo scared that she won't fit whatever body they need to wear those suits and what others would say about her. Naturally this stems from my ridiculous opinion of my own body and the struggle i have had and continue to have with  my body image. I wanted to save her from going through the nasty world of body image. the 2nd part is that I am afraid of the injuries she could have. Layla Rose is fearless that borders on dangerous, so my images of her pitching herslef off a beam or soemthing have always held me back.

then the fact that she loves it and is good at it came in... ugh

then the recommendation form her psychologist that she do it...double ugh

And so the internal battle begun...do I do what i feel is right and keep her engaged in other activities or do i go against my gut and follwo the what seems to be the natural flow...not easy. I REALLY don't want her to do gymnastics.

So after fighting it, I finally gave in and brought her to Wimgym in their munchkin program. She was all dressed up in her cute little outfit and away she went. Eric waited down stairs and i stayed with her. She was so good! LOL! she did it all, the bear crawl, the beam the whole nine yards YAY! SO then we switched so Eric could see it also and I went into the waiting room. and IT happened.

So I'm  sitting with my little chunky Buddha playing and 2 Mom's are talking. And they are CRITICIZING their own daughters bodies!! One is saying her daughter gains 7lbs every winter and she looks terrible. the otherone was saying how much she has to spend in new suits because she keeps gaining weight. I DAMN NEAR jumped on them!! Against my natural self i said nothing...the reason for that is it litterally dashed my joy of the moment. I was SO HAPPY that my child was in somehting she was good at, that I was wrong all this time about gymnastics. and then THAT. UGH!

SO as a Mom I sit here debating what to do...i mean she is so natural there, and yet those 2 morons just validated my original fear. I feel like I have no choice because Layla Rose needs every opportunity to build her confidence so no matter what life throws at her she can face it. But how can i protect her from harpies like that.

Being a Mom is hard...hard choices...tough calls... I can only hope to make the right ones

No comments:

Post a Comment